Sunday, April 28, 2024

Robertson Dress

 Some time ago, I saw this dress in a Barcelona shop window:


I love me a nice tartan, so this was an inspiration for a good old tartan wool dress. That, and the English Day at my school, dedicated to Scottish inheritance.  


I discovered Lochcarron, and after asking for some advice (they were very helpful) I decided to buy this wonderful lightweight tartan representative of the Robertson clan. 

First, I thought to make semi-princess seams, but then I thought that this dress pattern would be better for the bodice, since it does not have any seams (wool is difficult to iron, specially in curved seams), but only a couple of under bust seams. 

For the skirt, I made a half circle midi, although I had to add some piece at the bottom, matching the checks as well as I could. 

I decided to make long short sleeves, stopping them at the elbow, with a small cut at the end to see the gorgeous silk lining. I had to wear this dress on April 22nd, and longer sleeves were also not possible in the 2 m of fabric I bought. 

Finally, I had to buy some nice red silk to line it. I found it in France, in Bennytex tissues, at a good price.

The dress has ended up being just lovely. A masterpiece for life. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Wanna comment?