Saturday, June 1, 2019

Dark Blue Flowery Drapped Dress



This is a dress for a 50th wedding anniversary dellebration. For a family reunion.

I've had this fabric, bought in a cheap remmant store in Lleida, for years sitting in my stash. It seems cotton with lycra, like a cotton sateen, but that is only my guess, since it bore no label. The feel is great, a gorgeous printed cotton with good stretch, but for years I had no idea of what to do with it. 
When my auntie and uncle's celebration approached, I had one of those brilliant inspirations. I'd make a classic 50s dress, with a tight bodice, confortable thanks to the fabric stretch, and a huge drapped skirt to the knees. I wanted to be feminine and ellegant, but also modest.

I used the bodice pattern of my blue dress, taking 1 cm at the centre front, 1 at the sides and one at the back (x2). At the first fitting, I though it was too tight, so I gave them all back except for the one at the centre front, but now that it is finished, I think it could be tighter. Anyways, when doing something that tight, it has to be adjusted tryinn it on in the real fabric, becasue every fabric and pattern calls for its own fit. 

For the skirts, I used two rectangles as wide as the fabric was, and that was more than 3 times the waist measurement.  
It is a very comfortable, ellegant and beautiful dress. I plan to wear it a lot. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Wanna comment?