Tuesday, July 29, 2014
Looong Black Jersey Dress
I am having serious doubts about publishing my sewing failures or not... I had one recently...
This one was a complete success though! Inspiration came from a H&M model I've been seeing around. Last summer it was long striped dresses (and I had doubt about the stripes), but when I saw this dress totally black, I completely had the need of having it! And not only having it, but having it for my holidays!
So I went to the fabric shop and found this remnant at good price. I do not even want to know about the composition of the fabric. It has cotton, but I suspect it contains poly as well. In what proportion, it is a mystery, 'cause remnants in this shop come without labelling. So for once, I left my hangup home. And in the bright side, it had a nice soft touch and a dark black shiny quality I love.
Regarding the pattern, I used an old jersey dress. I put it flat over the folded fabric and I just cut around it! It was the day before leaving.
I basted it, fit it, machine sewed it. I tried it on again to draw the neckline on me with pins. I applied a bias strip all around neckline and armsythes. Turn it around itself, leaving 1 cm visible and hand sewed it with invisible stitches. I completed the inferior seam with a machine zigzag.
In the final fitting session I realized the armsythes gaped in their inferior part. I simply sewed a minidart in the lateral seam, taking 2 cm off, and taking even the bias ruleau. The result was (snafu, I had no time!) good enough.
The dress has proved to be comfortable, nice to wear and very practical for traveling and holiday making. I even hand washed in a hotel room when it was almost talking with dirt, to be able to wear it again.
A nice one!