Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Blue Silk Classic Dress

 I love this dress! It's not the more modern thing I've ever sewn, but the fabric-pattern combination produce a retro air I love, with all that gathering and hand sewing show-off. Maybe it won't be valued by anybody but me, but hey! that is more than enough! I am currently enjoying Feud, and wearing this dress takes me straight to 50s Hollywood, haha!!!
I bought this silk to TMOS last year. It was really cheap and the fabric is gorgeous, a very good purchase. But it was difficult to find a good project for it, until I saw this pattern i a Burda magazine and felt in love.

 I love Burda patterns! I did not have to modify anything in it, and they do not have seams included, as I like it. Our library-bus has Burda magazines to let, so it was a free-pattern. I copied it in paper and now it is mine. For nothing. Great!
I used the standard procedure I always follow with woven fabric and serious pieces: mark the pattern with tailor tucks in the fabric, baste it, try in on (everything in just perfect), remove tailor tucks, and stitch it with the machine. I used thermofusible interlinning in the waist, shoulder pieces and in the neck. I covered these pieces with others in the wrong side, hand sewing them to cover all the gathered seam allowances. 
The bottom seam is also hand sewn, as the neck's facing. I put and invisible zip in the back.
Now, this is silk and cannot be washed, so careful when wearing it. 
It's a classic!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wanna comment?