Sunday, June 27, 2021

Red Linen Zadie Jumpsuit

 I bought this linen online from a Barcelona shop without a definite plan for it. Sometimes, fabrics are so awesome you have to buy them, and they bring you the inspiration to be transformed into a 3D garment. You only have to wash it, dry it, touch it, fold it and leave it there in a visible shelf. (Mental note: careful here with excessive stash). Some time or other the inspiration will come, as it did in this case: the Zadie Jumpsuit that I had seen on Instagram, blogs and the internet in general, that had me intrigued as it how the crotch wrap fold was made... 

Seeing that I had not enough fabric (1.5 m) I had to make a second order (+1 m) and accompany it with some more must-haves that you all eventually see here transformed.

It became my project for my final student graduation act, so I was sewing quite frantically for the last week previous to the ceremony, and coinciding with a ton of work and stress to close the course the best possible way. Important things cannot be lived peacefully, it seems. 

Well, for this project I went down a size, paying attention, specially, to the final garment measures. This linen is crisp and structured, so I did not need excessive ease. It hit the target pretty spot on. 

As usual with these patterns, I took the seam allowance off the paper pattern, and cut it with a 2 cm seam allowance (except for the neck opening, 1 cm) all around. 

Having not much time, I sew it directly without marking or bating it. Kind of a crime in my book, but what the heck...

I made no adjustments at all in the bodice, but the pants were waaaay too wide. I realized that at the final fitting, with all the self-enclosed seams finished and all. It was quite easy to correct, though: pockets were also too big, so I decided to start at the waist and take 2 cm off along the outward legs' sides. I cut the excess fabric and remade the self-enclosed lateral seams again. There, perfect!

I decided to wear it with high heel shoes to dress it up, but it is quite sporty with flat sandals or sneakers. The red color is not very discreet though. 

I love it, and it was a success. My 12-year-old students told me it was cool. And they don't lie in their compliments, haha..






No comments:

Post a Comment

Wanna comment?