Monday, August 15, 2022

Tie-Dye Double Gauze Long Summer Dress


A new fabric shop opened in the town I do my shopping, and I went to check their cargo, following a friend's advice. This is the only fabric I got, planing to make some long shirt with an old pair of jeans I had cut. 

The two blues did not go well (and that is the 2nd chance for the old piece of jeans), but I then had some inspiration! I decided to copy an old long summer dress I had trown away after years of service last year, and I had missed at the end of the school year, when it is very warm but you still want your legs covered. 


Well, all in all, I tried an old bodice pattern, but it did not meet my standards at the dress form, so I decided to drape the fabric on the form and that's it. The fabric is light and soft to the touch, but at the same time it has lots of body and retains shape, no drape almost when hanging. Perfect to drape it over the dress form. 


I failed at the 1st trial, because I took the princess lines as a good point to place the shoulder straps, but it was totally off. So, in the 2nd attempt, I placed them just next to the shoulder rim, where my real shoulder and arms are supposed to protrude from.


This fabric is gorgeous to the touch, and I had a great time sewing the neckline facings and shoulder straps.


I sewed this the three days previous to our trip to Liverpool, because suddenly it was the dress I absolutely needed to fly and to wear in England, to be worn with a summer jacket or raincoat. 


These pictures are after driving 2 hours, flying 3 hours and going by train 2 hours more! And look how gorgeous this cotton looks at the end of the day. Good fabric!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wanna comment?