Sunday, October 21, 2018

Seersucker Myostosis Dress Copy


What an adventure this project has been!
It started with the accidental buy of the fabric, via Stone Fabrics, as a replacement for a mistake: the denim fabric I ordered did not have stretch at all and they let me choose any replacement. So I choose this seersucker with no particular idea in mind, only because it is a lovely fabric.
I was pondering the different possibilities for months, looking at pinterest for seersucker blouses and dresses... and the first idea was something like this:
Cute Striped Dress - Seersucker Dress - Ruffle Sleeve Dress - $39.00 – Red Dress Boutique
I used a previous bodice pattern and used a rectangle to gather the skirt. The result was a total disapointment. It did not flatter my figure at all and I could not see the solution.

 Before cutting the skirt into a bottom ruffle and to hell with the idea of a dress I saw Karen's Myostosis dress, a beautiful design I had seen before. Karen's figure is similar to mine, so if it was becoming to her, I could maybe go with it!
I started to alter the bodice, giving it more ease in the lateral seams and in the four darts.

 I cut the centre front and added a button placket in both sides and cut a V neckline. I stitched the centre back together. 

I made a bottom frill, but that was a gonner. Since the skirt was too short, I finally left the flounce at the bottom with no gathering.

 It looks kind of weird, I would have preferred it with horizontal lines, but my fabric was completelly finished.


 The result is quite nice. Problem is, autumn has arrived during all this trial and error, so I have not worn it yet in the real world to know how it really feels. Time to sew for autumn now!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Wanna comment?